Thursday, February 7, 2013

Yadda Yadda


A newer "old adage" that is sure to be repeated long into the future is, "Don't let your mouth write checks your body can't cash."

In other words, don't promise things you can't come through on.

Peter was a king of broken promises.

He was the original "Engage brain before putting mouth in gear."

Here's one of his more infamous statements:

Luke 22:33 - "Peter said to him, "Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death." 

Really.

An actual case where the spirit was willing... but...

Luke 22:34 - "Jesus said, "I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me." 

Ouch!

...the flesh was weak.

However, lest you are feeling your chest rise and fall with quickened pride driven respirations, allow me to express an "ease it up there folks".

We can see Peter with an air of pity and the hangdog look always associated with "I really care for you but I am so glad my relationship with Christ is much more solid than that and therefore I'll never be where Peter (or you) was/is".

I hate that smug condescending attitude draped in a facade of caring. I hate it because it's sin and I hate sin.

Jesus could have given Peter a manly love tap on the shoulder and said "Oh, ya' big lug, I appreciate the sentiment but I just can't allow that."

No. Instead He saw that Peter's words were unachievable in the first place, and more importantly He knew Peter had zero intention to actually carry them out right or wrong.

Peter needed to be confronted then and there if he was to ever become who God wanted him to be.

So He let Peter have it right between the eyes.

"Peter, you are not going to do anything. In fact before all of this is said and done you are actually going to deny ever having known me."

Darned if it didn't happen just like He said.

Two disciples in one night. One betrays him in actions, the other betrays Him with words.

Judas suffered remorse for his actions and hanged himself.

Peter suffered remorse and eventually repented.

Therein lies the difference.

We can't just feel bad about our indiscretion and transgression. We have to make it right again.

Judas tried repenting by giving back the money to the Pharisees. He should have just gone to Jesus.

His chosen action led to death.

Peter was eaten up inside the moment he heard the rooster crow. He eventually ran to Jesus when he saw Him after His resurrection.

Jesus' counsel to Peter was "If you love me feed my sheep".

My take on that? Peter, stop talking and just do. Show me your love and stop telling me your grandiose dreamer schemes you will never fulfill. Do the work I've started and feed my lambs.

There it is folks. That's you and me if we do not follow through,

Talk a good game or feed the lambs?

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><
www.reallifect.com

No comments:

Post a Comment