Thursday, November 12, 2009

"What Do You Think You Are Worth?", by Pastor Kevin Lynch

It's sort of a trick question.

I'm not speaking in material or financial matters.

I'm talking about as a member and contributor to the human race.

It's a little unfair to ask I suppose, because in my estimation, if you pause to actually entertain the question, then you probably have missed it.

Matthew 23:12 - "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

Our worth, our influence, our importance, our effect, whatever we associate with what we think we are worth is of no gain to us or others.

To sit back and even try to estimate what our impact is to our sphere of influence reeks of the fact that we have not rested in and trusted God with our lives and the details.

Even in it's most contrite and humblest form it has an element of self-righteousness attached to it and it spoils the handiwork of God.

Even Jesus, who had the most right to speculate shrinks in the face of self-exaltation.

John 5:31 (Amplified Bible)

"If I alone testify in My behalf, My testimony is not valid and cannot be worth anything."

We don't validate our own parking in this world.

Who we are, what we have or ever will become, who we have impacted and influenced or ever will, is completely contained in the words and testimony of what and whom we have left behind.

We must recognize that had it not been for the direct confrontation and ensuing impact upon our lives by the Gospel of the Kingdom of Christ, we would simply be vessels of whatever we had become and enslaved to heaping and receiving our thanks on and by the wrong people.

We become part of the great Backslapping Society, heaping false and rosy platitudes upon each other with the culmination being the lengthy obituary in the New York Times.

You have to be pretty important to have your obit on file just waiting for you to die. Too bad you'll never get to read it.


Ah, Scarecrow. My old friend. There's more there than a child's fantasy.


Scarecrow: Oh joy, rapture! I've got a brain!"
How can I ever thank you enough?


Wizard of Oz: "Well, you can't."

And the world will never let you forget that you can't.

The greatest people I have ever known never achieved notoriety past a small circle of acquaintances, yet their profound influence upon me changed my life forever. They all went to their graves hoping they had fulfilled God's calling upon their lives, and died in awe of our Great God Jesus Christ.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Some say that ain't living.

I say it's thriving.

Keepin' it Real,


Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment