Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"Extending Our Hands In Faith", by Pastor Kevin Lynch

Hebrews 11:9 - "[Prompted] by faith he dwelt as a temporary resident in the land which was designated in the promise [of God, though he was like a stranger] in a strange country, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs with him of the same promise."

Faith is the glue that binds us together.

Heirs of the same promise. That's the Church today. At least ideally.

We don't always act like we are all heirs of the same promise.

We tend to want to identify ourselves separately. It's not good enough to be counted as simply a Christian, or a disciple of Jesus Christ, or a believer of the Promise, etc.

Instead we find so many drawing attention to themselves and their denominations, theologies, and doctrines.

In his famous sermon "A Catholic Spirit" (not pertaining to Roman Catholic, but the word used as unity in the faith), John Wesley laid out a criteria for accepting each other in faith.

Here is a small excerpt:

"Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, "God over all, blessed for ever?" Is he revealed in your soul? Do you know Jesus Christ and him crucified? Does he dwell in you and you in him? Is he formed in your heart by faith? Having absolutely renounced all your own works, your own righteousness, have you "submitted yourself unto the righteousness of God, which is by faith in Christ Jesus? Are you "found in him, not having your own righteousness, but the righteousness which is by faith?" And are you, through him, "fighting the good fight of faith, and laying hold of eternal life?"

"If it be, give me your hand." I do not mean, "Be of my opinion." You need not. I do not expect or desire it. Neither do I mean, "I will be of your opinion." I cannot, it does not depend on my choice. I can no more think, than I can see or hear, as I will. Keep your opinion and I will keep mine, and that as steadily as ever. You need not even endeavor to come over to me, or bring me over to you. I do not desire you to dispute those points, or to hear or speak one word concerning them. Leave all opinions alone on one side and the other: only "give me your hand."

I'm not sure if that is possible anymore. Even though none of us has the market cornered on theological and doctrinal perfection, we sure like to think so sometimes.

Can't we just be satisfied that we are attached to the One who is Perfect? That while we may worship and study in different places, we are bound by faith to the One True Church without spot or wrinkle in Jesus Christ and His finished work of the Cross?

I hope we can. It is God's best for us.

Be blessed today!

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment