Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"Freed To Do What?", by Pastor Kevin Lynch

I've Got a River of Life flowing out of me
Opens prison doors and sets the captives free

That's from a neat old chorus we used to sing in church when I first got saved.

Freed from what?

Freed from Satan's bondage of sin and degradation. Freed from destination Hell.

Freed to do what?

Ahh....that is the question.

Something can get very warped between "Freed from" and "Freed to do".

Some people never make the proper transition. The plan and purpose breaks down after a bit and eventually they relapse back into bondage.

I guess we could call that "spiritual recidivism". It's kind of like how so many in the prison population return there after short bursts of freedom.

There has to be a purpose and God always has a purpose.

It's not freedom to continue on the path we were on before we knew Jesus. That in essence was the bondage. Our poor choices, obstinance and disobedience were leading us straight to hell.

Here's an analogy:

Acts 5:19-20 - "But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and, leading them out, said, (20) Go, take your stand in the temple courts and declare to the people the whole doctrine concerning this Life (the eternal life which Christ revealed)."

Physical or spiritual, God leads us out of one thing and into something else.

There is purpose.

Freedom to do what? Continue on the same old path? The same old way? Our failed methods?

No.

Freedom of usefulness and purpose that counts for something more than wasted lives and accumulation of stuff.

Freedom to lead others to Life.

Freedom to "Take Your Stand".

Is it more important to thrill yourself or to thrill God?

This is what thrills God. If it thrills God He will thrill you.

I have been freed and I am thrilled.

Free to be thrilled.

Is it possible that this pastor, this preacher, this husband, this father, this grandfather, this uncle, this brother, this friend, this neighbor, this Facebook buddy...has actually found the secret to a happy life?

No? Not possible? Well, then you have probably "hidden" me (the Facebook way of ignoring a person) long ago. You will continue on your useless pursuits for the joy that escapes you (even if you won't admit it).

You probably have labled me as "religious". I am the polar opposite of religion.

But what if it's true? What if I'm right? What if I am as ecstatically happy as I claim to be and I could lead you to the source AND guarantee you the same?

Well, then I guess you will either miss it or achieve it.

Personally, I hope you achieve it.

Hey...I'm just...

...Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment