Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Schmooze Makes The World Go 'Round" by Pastor Kevin Lynch

Elaine: "Is it possible that I'm not as attractive as I think I am?"

Jerry: "Anything's possible."

It sure is.

In fact, I would venture a guess that you are never as good looking as YOU think you are.

Mirrors lie.

Makeup camouflages.

People tell you what YOU want to hear.

Others never see you as attractive as you see yourself. (Trust me on this...NEVER!)

They just tell you that.

Yes I know. It's a rude awakening.

Especially for those who need to feed the ego beast.

I am convinced that the greater portion of the population functions exclusively on schmooze.

If schmooze could be bottled it would be the most sought after commodity on the planet.

Schmooze could be traded on the stock market and pull this country out of debt.

Schmooze soothes the savage ego.

So when someone craves the schmooze and doesn't get it, guess what happens?

SDD sets in (Schmooze Deficiency Disorder).

Schmooze Deficiency Disorder interrupts the feeding cycle of the ego, which in turn causes depression, sleeplessness, anxiety, bulimia, panic attacks, and just an all around feeling of worthlessness.

Come on, let's be honest. How can anybody possibly feel good about themselves if someone is not telling them how great they look, or how smart they are, or how wonderful they are, or how peachy keen they are.

I don't think I could live without being told I'm peachy keen.

Well, not really.

I know I'm not peachy keen.

However....

I do happen to trust the good judgment of Jesus Christ.

He thinks I am just cool enough to die for.

Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

No need for schmooze when the Lord God Almighty thinks you are worthy of His shed blood.

Who's opinion, good or bad, is going to top that?

In fact, in light of the love of Christ, having wonderful things said about us becomes more distasteful than something derogatory.

It's because in Christ we recognize our alleged worthiness is only because of what He has accomplished in us.

Without Him I am a failure undeserving of anyone's praise. Without Him I am running on pure high octane schmooze.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but rather Christ lives in me." (Gal. 2:20)

That's what I want people to see. I want people to see their absolute helplessness without Christ.

I want the cycle of schmooze to grind to a halt in the face of Glory.

You are NOT "all that".

Jesus is.

My prayer is that we begin to esteem Jesus more then ourselves. We don't need more "self" esteem. We need more "Jesus esteem". Our lowly self pity needs to be erased in the light of the extension of His glory toward us!

Run it all past Jesus first!

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment