Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Can I Really Do ALL Things In Christ?", by Pastor Kevin Lynch

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Sounds great doesn't it? For me, who really takes the bible literally wherever it is possible, I have essentially lived the last 25 years according to this truth. In my heart of hearts ALL means ALL...

...at least as far as I am ever going to do ALL. And I am OK with that because I think that is what the actual meaning of the passage intends.

Let's keep the dignity within the truth. Let's not digress into ridiculous notions. However, let us not decrease the power and ability of the Word either. Yes, it is sometimes a fine line we walk when discerning the Word and trying to live by it. This is why it takes diligence in study, and not just pulling out of the air what the preacher says on Sunday.

Look at the passage:

Philippians 4:13 (Amplified Bible) - "I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]."

A healthy young disciple of Jesus Christ who is in top physical condition, well educated in science and physics, and dedicated and driven to achieve his goal of becoming an astronaut, can reasonably expect to accomplish that according to the promise of the Word.

An older and much less physically fit disciple of Jesus Christ, who no longer could physically and mentally stand up to the rigors of training would not. Yup...that's me.

See what I'm getting at?

We sometimes place the tension of the verse on what is not intended. We shouldn't be focusing so much on what ALL means as far as setting ridiculous goals and formulating crazy notions. But rather, we should be concentrating on handling whatever comes before us through the strength of Christ within us.

This is not so much about attaining some impossible dream we wish for, than it is about just simply dealing with what we already have.

Jesus is not the genie in the lamp.

This about the personal empowerment of the believer who is having to bear the weight of daily living. It's about moving through this life with joy, peace, and contentment in the midst of our personal experience.

What are the "ALL things" you will need to have strength for?

Loss of loved ones. Stunningly bad medical reports. Bodies racked with pain. Financial setbacks. Marital and family difficulties. Loss of a job.

In my opinion, I have come to view this verse less about what I can achieve, and more of what I can maintain through Christ.

What I can "do" is live my life, and I can do that the best through the sufficiency I have in Jesus Christ.

The "ALL Things" is life and living. We can live the best, accomplishing the things we set out to do in this short life, by holding fast to Jesus and allowing Him to be our strength.

Yes! You CAN overcome those financial problems when He is your strength! You CAN overcome sickness and gain victory over the torture of your flesh! You CAN be successful at what you do!

You must have the faith that says "I am ready for anything that comes my way because I have the infused power of Christ in me which will never fail!"

You can because He can!

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment