Friday, August 6, 2010

"The Watchers And The Watched Over", by Pastor Kevin Lynch

I never asked for this. It wasn't my idea. I had no aspirations, designs, or plans.

God swooped down over me one day and dropped it into my lap. "Preach My Word. Watch over My people."

My wife actually broke down in tears right next to me at the altar all those years ago. We were both scared. Life was about to change drastically.

God caught us both up with Him, and we have been dutiful servants to our charge over these last 23 years or so.

As perfect as we think it should be where God is involved, it is not. I am not perfect and people are not perfect and sometimes those imperfections clash.

When they do it raises some dust. I have been doing this long enough to know eventually the dust settles. Sometimes rather quickly. That's called grace.

I have never demanded a thing from anyone. I simply lead according to the gifts the Holy Spirit has given me. I have always appreciated the folks God has tossed over my way to share our lives together.

It mostly has worked out. Sometimes it doesn't.


Hebrews 13:17 (Amplified Bible)

"Obey your spiritual leaders and submit to them [continually recognizing their authority over you], for they are constantly keeping watch over your souls and guarding your spiritual welfare, as men who will have to render an account [of their trust]. [Do your part to] let them do this with gladness and not with sighing and groaning, for that would not be profitable to you [either]."

I have always appreciated the nuggets of truth passed on to me by those who have been down this road.

"Son, some folks will simply not allow themselves to be cared for." ~a blessed old timer now in heaven~

Definitely one piece of advice that has been forced to the forefront of my brain from my dusty archives on occasion.

Several elements of the above verse stand out.

There is the submission of the sheep and the trustworthiness of the shepherd.

It only works when the gears mesh together and run smooth.

Authority cannot be demanded and submission cannot be forced.

It's a mutual agreement.

It's a God ordained trust and will not work when one or the other (or both) breaks down.

I do know one thing. It fails when we forget it's God's business.

We have a delicate yet durable relationship in Jesus Christ. A simple moment of hurt or discouragement can tear it all asunder, but the very Gates of Hell cannot defeat it. Paradoxical. Much of God's Word is.

That's when we know it's a God thing.

Oh Lord. We are fragile people given a sturdy task. We need You in it every step of the way. Guide and correct us because at the end of the day it is You who suffers reproach because of our actions. Keep us honest and worthy of the task at hand which is to spread your Holy Word across the earth. Let us assist and not hinder the work left to be done. Amen.

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment