Monday, November 8, 2010

"Synthetic Grace", by Pastor Kevin Lynch

The late Dietrich Bonhoeffer in his book "The Cost Of Discipleship", said, "When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die."

I read that book early in my new walk with Jesus. I've never forgotten how that exposed me to the seriousness of the relationship between Christ and His Church.

I learned a lot about cheap grace versus costly grace.

Bonhoeffer said further, "Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate."

I don't want that kind of grace. I don't want it because it doesn't come from God. Cheap grace is churned out from the hearts of men who water it down and synthesize it through the adding or subtracting from it's original intention.

I see a lot of synthetic grace operating in the Body of Christ. If it's synthetic than it is NOT organic.

So many will not put anything but organic food in their body, but they will settle for a synthetic gospel. They will feed their spirit with synthesized drivel.

Fluff. Words that don't call for a decision.

Words that cheapen the cross and let you off the hook. Words that make you feel like you've been to church but leaves nothing in you to prove it.

Words that bring you close enough to Calvary to see the cross, but not close enough to touch it.

Not me. I can't. I won't. Not at any cost. Not for numbers, love, or money.

Mark 8:34-35 - "When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. (35) For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it."

The True Church of Jesus Christ, the one that is said to be "without spot or wrinkle", is an organic Church. It doesn't thrive on program. It moves and breathes as a living organism comprised of people who have one goal and focus in mind which is to lose themselves in Jesus.

Less of me. More of You Lord. I must decrease so You may increase.

Jesus says come and die, and the synthetic church is holding contests to see how many butts they can put in the pews.

God help us. Synthetic Christianity doesn't mind clinging to the old rugged cross. They just don't want to be nailed to it.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live" (Gal. 2:20).

Come and die with me today, will you?

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment