Thursday, March 17, 2011

"So, When They Look At You, What Are They Seeing?"

What do people see in you? About you? Do they marvel at your knowledge? Your expertise in certain areas? Are they impressed with your pedigree? Your level of achivement? Documented degrees of education? How about just that you're a sensitive, caring, and all around great person who would give others the shirt off your back!

All fine things, but nothing to boast about in the greater scheme. Society is fickle. Build 100 bridges and they will honor you with awards for being a great bridge builder.  Let those same people find out about one isolated and dishonorable thing you may have done years before and they will reign criticisms upon you that will erase the memory of anything good you have ever done. Such is the eternal unworthiness of carnal achievement.

So...maybe a better way to put this is, "when they look at you, what do YOU want them to see?"

Acts 4:13 (AMP) - "Now when they saw the boldness and unfettered eloquence of Peter and John and perceived that they were unlearned and untrained in the schools [common men with no educational advantages], they marveled; and they recognized that they had been with Jesus."

Peter and John were not Rhodes scholars. They weren't rabbinical sages. They were rough cut fishermen. It appears that at times they may not have even been successful fishermen. Jesus gave them identity. He gave them Himself. 

Jesus indelibly rubbed off on them. So much so that it was immediately recognizeable. They were looking at Peter and John, but they were seeing Jesus.

"...that they had been with Jesus."

I honestly believe, if the best we ever accomplish in this life is that, we will be completely satisifed.

Galatians 2:20 (AMP) - "I have been crucified with Christ [in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

This is my personal verse that I live by. It says everything. I meet many people as a pastor. I communicate with and interact with them all week long.  I am often flattered by their kind words and remarks about me.

If my name is forgotten and Jesus is made known, then everything I ever wanted in this life will be fulfilled.

I know I'm not so hot. I know that anything good, or gracious, or kind, or compassionate, or loving, that somehow is able to fight its way to the surface, is not anything I could make manifest as a personal quality of my character.

Anything about me that is tolerable at all is strictly because of Jesus in me. I am a dead man. I no longer live. If you met me without Jesus you might not like that person. I hope you quickly forget me but remember Jesus forever.

Remember Jesus forever. Jesus forever. Jesus. Forever.

My wife Joan's favorite bumper sticker: "Know Jesus, know peace. No Jesus, no peace."

No failures in Jesus because Jesus never fails.

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment