Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"Code Talkers", Pastor Kevin Lynch

Sometimes I feel like I am speaking a different language.

I guess it's sort of true.

I speak English and "Christianese".

Seriously, I am acutely aware of it often.

For instance, I was in for some medical tests yesterday and during a lull in the activities the tech who was attending me started asking me questions about my faith, church, etc.

I found myself speaking differently to her than I would someone I knew for sure was a follower of Christ.

I had to put it into "plain English".

I was fairly certain I shouldn't use terms like "washed in the blood", or "sanctified", or "standing on the Rock". Some of that might even sound scary to those outside of the Word of God.

Maybe we should be more sensitive to what "country" we are in before we commence with our "native" language.

After all, Paul said some pretty amazing things about understanding the Word and things about Jesus.

1 Corinthians 1:18 (Amplified Bible)

(18) For the story and message of the cross is sheer absurdity and folly to those who are perishing and on their way to perdition, but to us who are being saved it is the [manifestation of] the power of God.

You can't believe in something you don't understand the instructions about.

It's like watching a commercial on tv in a foreign country. You may have an idea about what is being sold, but you can't understand enough of it to make a decision one way or another.

It might all sound like nonsensical jibber-jabber.

That's pretty much what Paul is saying about those who have no clue as to what the bible teaches.

For us who have taken the time to become enlightened it is the most profound truth we will ever hope to hear.

To those who are without that understanding it is jibber-jabber.

If it was just info about a new cleaning product or room freshener it wouldn't be an issue.

When it's about where a person will spend eternity it's the most important thing in the world.

We must do everything in our power to ensure that everyone understands about Jesus.

They are perishing.

That has to mean something to us.

Forget sounding religious.

Tell the story and tell it plainly.

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment