Saturday, October 31, 2009

"Fire Tested", by Pastor Kevin Lynch

In music, "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing."

In the Church, it don't mean a thing unless it's gone through the fire.

I have my druthers as to who I place my trust and confidence in other than Jesus Christ.

When I have to trust somebody, I want to be sure they have been tried, tested, and tempered by the fires.

In other words, they have faced adversity and trial time and again, and not only have come out the other side better for it, but become a bigger blessing to others as the result each time!

It confounds earthly flesh bound reasoning. It's a total and complete God thing!

Nobody likes to go through it, but the fact remains that we are made stronger by the tough stuff we face when we trust God with it.

Sort of some truth to the adage, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Who knew it better than Peter?

1 Peter 4:12 - "Dear brothers, do not be surprised, as if it was something strange, if your faith is tested as by fire."

If we read the gospels closely we will find that Peter wasn't really worth the leather on his sandals as far as being a "go to" person for Jesus until he suffered tremendous trials and temptations.

Peter finally got it. The final fire for him was getting nailed upside down to a cross.

There are some folks I know personally being refined daily by fire. Each day seems to present even newer and more difficult challenges.

Yet, not only do they endure, but they seem to be able to keep their edge, their excitement in Christ, their optimism that in Him everything, bar nothing, will be alright.

I want them with me in the fire. I want them in my foxhole.

The doubts and fears have long been burned out of them.

This is the purpose of fire. It purifies. It burns off the dross. It melts away the slag.

"Slag and dross". It even sounds undesirable. It's because it is.

It's dead weight. It weighs you down. It's your old bad attitude. It's the old chicken heart.

It's what makes the tongue waggin' lip flapper turn to jello when the going gets tough.

I have been in the midst of the fire this entire week and I see glorious light at the end of the tunnel. He has led me through a minefield this week. I have dodged snipers from hell.

I have to tell you that this morning I feel like Superman. Each test as it is "piled on" seems to forge my armor of God into an impenetrable protective force. (Yeah, I know, I'm a pastor. I HAVE to be that way, hahaha!)

I wish it was contagious.

I have been in prayer since 3:00 a.m. Oh Lord, please let it be contagious.

There is little spirit willing and so much weak flesh.

Only God can burn that out.

How about you today?

Is it "me first"? Or is it, "Lead me on Lord!"

Lean forward right into the fire filled with nothing but expectation that it's all God today.

Or recoil in fear and be a spectator.

Thank you my fire tested friends. You know who you are *wink*. I am believing that there soon will be many others in the flames with us!

Be blessed today in EVERYTHING!

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment