Friday, January 21, 2011

"Things I Never Have To Ask My Wife"

Mark 10:6-9 (AMP) - "(6) But from the beginning of creation God made them male and female. (7) For this reason a man shall leave [behind] his father and his mother and be joined to his wife and cleave closely to her permanently,(8) And the two shall become one flesh, so that they are no longer two, but one flesh. (9) What therefore God has united (joined together), let not man separate or divide."

Sanctity. Purity. Holiness. Trust.  Just a few words that describe the unity of a man and woman in Jesus Christ.

I have seen both sides of this. I have seen successes and I have seen heartbreaking failures.

I was contemplating the other day the things I hear some couples say to each other (or about each other) and I realized that I have never had to ask my wife a single one of them.

Here's a sample:

"Are you lying to me?"  Not only have I never had to ask the question, but it has literally NEVER even crossed my mind as a possibility. Ever.

"Where were you all of this time?"  It's not that I need to know where she is every minute, but it just seems that she always lets me know. This is because of her kindness and concern to not cause me undue concern. It's just what people who love each other do. We have hardly ever been away from each other for more than a 24 hour period in 25 years.

"Do you love me?"  I don't need to extract that info to feed my ego or validate our relationship. I just KNOW that she does. For the record however, we tell each other every day.

I really could go on a bit more, but in 25 years of marriage, and almost as long in the ministry counseling others, these are the questions that I see crop up in troubled marriages. They have never cropped up in ours.

There is one reason and one reason only. We are not super partners. We have had our spats and disagreements.

It's Jesus. We give Him the credit. On our own and apart from Him who knows where we would have ended up?

I could say more, but how much more needs to be?

Jesus never fails. He won't fail you, and He won't fail the marriage. 

Marriage takes three and out of the three there are two who really need to believe this.

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><

No comments:

Post a Comment