Tuesday, August 13, 2013

PGA (Praise God Anyway)

So you may not own a fig tree.

It isn't just about fig trees.

It's about your life.

The prophet Habakkuk in his OT chapter 3:17-19 nails it.

Habakkuk 3:17-19 (AMP) - "Though the fig tree does not blossom and there is no fruit on the vines, [though] the product of the olive fails and the fields yield no food, though the flock is cut off from the fold and there are no cattle in the stalls, 18 Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will exult in the [victorious] God of my salvation! 19 The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]! 

He's basically saying when life doesn't blossom and bloom like we might expect sometimes, what should we do?

This is not a "right" or "wrong" thing.

Sometimes there just ain't no fruit on the vines, or oil from the olive, or sheeples in church, or mules kickin' in the stalls. Translation: small paycheck, no paycheck, empty fridge, low church attendance, etc.
Sometimes. Stuff happens. Sometimes.

I know what the bible says to do in such situations, but often it's not what I see happening in reality.

What I see is whining, panic, anxiety, depression, malaise, turning from God, blaming God, cursing God, loss of faith, and sheesh, I have to stop here before I get depressed!

Ya know what? I hate to barge in with a very large burst of reality, but here's the deal.

Sometimes your fig tree just isn't going to bear fruit. Or... your business is going to hit a speed bump. Or... your church is going to take a financial dive. Or... you may have a choice of keeping the car running, getting a prescription filled, or putting food in the fridge.

Tough spot. Habakkuk was living it. 

So, what I am about to offer as a solution may sound incredibly inadequate for you particularly if you're living it right now. If you're on a good streak, and maybe even feeling a bit proud of how God is blessing you, remember first what comes before a fall. Either way, here is the pearl of wisdom from the ages, filtered through me, and down to you.

Ready?

Here it is:

Praise God Anyway. Call it "PGA".

Hmm... got quiet in here all of a sudden. LOL!

It usually does when the simplicity of God confounds the confusion and noise of our troubles.

Really, really simple. Praise God anyway. 

In the actual words of the prophet, when faced with catastrophe, he said, "Yet (which means "in spite of" ) I will rejoice in the Lord. I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God the Lord is my strength."

If I preached three point sermons (which I don't), there's a good one in there.

However, the Word from God today, is that when faced with adversity, catastrophe, dire circumstances, minor annoyances... Praise God anyway! Be joyful in Him! Rely on His strength, not yours!

Easier said than done, right? Wrong! It's actually very easy to do it, when you believe that it will work. That's what we call "having faith". If you choose not to... well... I'll still pray for you.

My best advice is to try it. Try it in the worst of circumstances. Take it out for a test drive today and see how it rolls.

I can only tell you that it works for me. And a whole bunch of other people I know who believe it.

If it works for us, it WILL work for you.

My prayer for you all is that everything goes well for you in Christ Jesus today!
So...whatever (and I do mean WHATEVER) comes rollin' at you (or OVER you), remember...
PGA! PGA! PGA!

... it all has to get past Jesus BEFORE it can screw your life up!

Keepin' it Real,

Pastor Kevin <><
~SoZo~

No comments:

Post a Comment